Calflo heat transfer fluids are manufactured by Petro-Canada and distributed throughout the world. Petro-Canada manufactures Calflo heat transfer fluids using a patented two-stage severe hydro-cracking (HT) process that creates a 99.9% product. The differences of oils made utilizing the HT severe hydrocracking process and conventional solvent refined base oils are significant. The largest difference is the near elimination of aromatic molecules (often less than 0.5%) in the HT oils. By contrast, solvent refined products can have aromatic content between 10 and 35%. This creates a significant advantage in fluid performance as the HT base oils have far fewer molecules available for oxygen to attach and degrade the fluid. This is one of the key reasons Calflo fluids resist coking & degradation and last longer than competitive products.
Additional benefits of Calflo products are they are odorless and non-toxic, have low vapor pressures, and are less costly than many competitive fluids. Many customers use Calflo solely due to the environmental benefits creating a safer and better smelling environment for employees.
Basic selection criteria for Calflo products are:
- AF: Applications up to 600 deg. F. AF offers possibly the best fluid degradation properties of heat transfer fluids.
- HTF: Applications up to 620 deg F.
- LT: Low temperature applications from -40 deg. F to 550 deg F.
- Synthetic: For ambient temperatures as low as -54 deg. F.
- Purity Food Grade (FG): For food grade applications up to 620 deg. F.
- Petro-Therm: Low cost product competitive with mineral oils.
- Petro-Therm PPD: Low cost product competitive with mineral oils. PPD can be used for cold start up at low ambient temperatures.
Case Studies/White Papers