Accu-Therm Plate & Frame Heat Exchangers
Paul Mueller Company
Type: Heating & Heat Transfer
Manufacturer: Paul Mueller Company
Paul Mueller Accu-Therm plate heat exchangers are used to provide indirect heating or cooling of a variety of processes in the HVAC, food & beverage, pharmaceutical, and industrial markets. Typical heat transfer mediums are water/water, water/glycol, and water/oil.
A plate heat exchanger consists of a series of heat transfer plates that held in place within a large frame. Each plate has gasketing on both sides of the plate that create two separate channel systems. The arrangement of the gaskets creates flow pattens such that the primary and secondary media are in counter-current flow. The medias cannot be mixed.
The corrugated design of the plates creates turbulent flow through the heat exchanger. This turbulence, in association with the ratio of the volume of the media to the size of heat exchanger, creates a highly effective heat transfer coefficient.
The plates are commonly made of stainless steel but can be supplied in other materials such as titanium depending upon the fluids that will contact the plates. Gaskets are available in wide range of materials such as Nitril®, EPDM, Vitron®, Neoprene, or Chloroprene. The inlet and outlet connections are available in a wide variety of options including ttudded port, slip-on or weld neck flange, sanitary ferrule, or stub end.
Paul Mueller offers standard bolted designs, sanitary, brazed, and semi-welded plate heat exchangers.
Features & Benefits of Paul Mueller Company Plate Frame Heat Exchangers
- High Flow Rates
- Flows up to 24,000 gpm with connection sizes up to 20”.
- Lower Cost
- Due to the higher thermal efficiency and different production methods, plate heat exchangers are more economical than other types of heat exchangers.
- Close Approach Temperatures (High Theta Duties)
- Approach temperatures of 2 to 3°F are possible because of the true counterflow and high heat transfer efficiency of the plates.
- Compact and Lightweight
- Requires 1/5 to 1/2 less floor space than other types of heat transfer equipment.
- Lighter in total weight than other heat exchangers because of reduced liquid volume and the more efficient surface area for a given application.
- Cross Contamination of Fluids Eliminated
- Each medium is individually gasketed.
- Ability to Easily to Inspect & Clean
- By removing the compression bolts and sliding away the end frame one can inspect 100% of the plates.
- Plates can be added or removed to change capacities.
- Extensive Selection
- Heat transfer surface areas from 0.5 to 51 square feet.
- Multiple embossed patterns.
- Exclusive “free-flow” plate design.
- Efficient Heat Transfer
- Plate heat exchangers are able to provide “U” values of 1,500 and greater.
- Mueller’s Accu-Therm plates design promote high turbulence at low fluid velocities.
- High heat transfer coefficients can be reached by the high turbulence designs.
- Multiple Duties with a Single Unit
- A single unit can heat or cool two or more fluids by installing intermediate divider sections.
- More Heat Transfer Surface
- A single plate heat exchanger can handle up to 25,000 square feet of heat transfer surface.
- Reduced Fouling
- Fouling is reduced due to smooth plate surface and high turbulent flow (higher K values).
- Accu-Therm Plate Heat Exchanger Brochure
- Heat Transfer Solutions Flier
- Accu-Therm Typical HVAC Applications Brochure